Oh, say can you see...one fine looking red, white and blue dessert for any all-American holiday coming down the pike. If you don’t happen to have a star shaped cookie cutter handy (check your supermarket or the local dollar store), then go with an all-stripes theme, and forgo the stars - but it sure is cute with both!
1 pkg. Wewalka Danish Dough
For the Berry Filling:
8 cups fresh mixed berries, strawberries cut in half or quarters if large
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
For the Sweetened Whipped Cream:
1 ½ cups heavy or whipping cream
2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the berries in a large bowl and sprinkle with the sugar and cornstarch, and toss. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and toss again. Transfer into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Unroll the refrigerated Danish Dough onto a baking sheet. Cut about 2/3 of the pastry into 1 in. thick strips on the diagonal. Use a small star-shaped cookie cutter to cut stars in the remaining corner of the dough, but leave everything in place (don’t remove any of the dough from the sheet).
- Place the cobbler and the dough on the baking sheet in the oven on two separate racks. After 16 to 20 minutes, remove the dough when it is golden brown and flaky. Leave the cobbler in the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the filling is bubbling around the edges. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and allow the dough to cool a bit. When the cobbler is done cooking, allow that to cool for about 15 minutes on another wire rack.
- While the cobbler is baking, make the whipped cream. In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk or a hand mixer, whip the cream and confectioners’ sugar until slightly firm peaks are formed.
- Lift the cooked dough strips from the paper and place them over the top of the cobbler, trimming them as needed so that they fit neatly into the baking dish. Leave about 1 inch between each dough strip, so that the berries peek through. When you have covered about 3/4 of the cobbler with the stripes, pop the stars out from the dough and use those to fill in the remaining space.
- Serve the cobbler warm with the whipped cream.