This White Sauce Pizza is truly the best! It’s loaded with a base of the creamiest (and easiest!) white sauce and topped with your favorite seasonal toppings like crispy prosciutto, sweet caramelized onions, kale and mushrooms. You’ll definitely be going back for another piece with this pizza!
3 Tbsp. salted butter
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg. Wewalka Bistro Pizza Dough
½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. salted butter
3 oz. diced prosciutto (a generous ⅓ cup)
Handful of roughly chopped kale
2-3 large baby bella mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
Fresh herbs like sage or basil to top
- To make the white sauce: Shred about ¾ cup of parmesan cheese. Finely mince 3 medium cloves of garlic. Set this aside. In a small pot, melt the butter on low/medium heat. Once melted, add flour and whisk to combine. Continue whisking this for around 2 minutes to cook the flour through. Slowly add in 1 cup of milk, whisking it in as you go. Whisk continuously for 5-6 minutes until sauce has thickened, turning the heat up to medium if needed. Once the sauce has thickened, add in the garlic and whisk in. Turn off the heat but leave the pot on the stove eye. Add in the ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and whisk it in until it’s fully melted/incorporated. Once fully melted, remove from the heat and set aside. Taste for salt and pepper and add if necessary. This should yield 1 cup of sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Slice the yellow onions into long thin slices. To a medium side pan, add 1 tbsp of salted butter and let it melt. Add in the sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally on medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the pan once done.
- Add the diced prosciutto into the same pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until fully cooked through and slightly crispy. While the prosciutto is cooking, slice the mushrooms and roughly chop the handful of kale.
- Roll the pizza dough out onto a pizza or sheet pan. Add the white sauce (I used the entire 1 cup!) and then begin assembling the toppings! I started with the caramelized onions, followed by the prosciutto, mushrooms and kale. Top with the remaining ¼ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for 14-16 minutes - my sweet spot was at 15! The edges will be golden and crispy. Let cool for a second before you slice it - top with fresh herbs and enjoy every single bite!