These cherries and cream danish stars are so much fun for the summer holidays coming up!
1 pkg. Wewalka Danish Dough
6 oz frozen sweet cherries
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 Tbsp. water
2 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
Egg wash (1 egg and 2 Tbsp. water, beaten)
1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat cherries and sugar on medium-low heat until the cherries start releasing their juices. Mash them down very slightly and heat some more until there is a lot of liquid. Whisk corn starch and water together in a small bowl and stir into cherry mixture. Bring to a very gentle boil, continuously stirring, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Add granulated sugar and powdered sugar and beat until completely incorporated. Set aside.
- Unroll refrigerated Danish Dough on enclosed parchment paper and place on a large baking sheet. Cut 8, 3-4” stars into the dough and remove the scraps. If you have a small star, cut out little stars with the extra dough to prevent waste.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each star, and top with 1 Tbsp. of cherry preserves.
- Brush he edges of the star with egg wash and place a second star on top. Crimp the edges with a fork. Some filling may squish out - this is okay. Cut two tiny slits in the top for vent holes, brush the tops with some more egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden.