This delicious stromboli is the best kind of comfort food! Perfect for entertaining, the delicious ingredients combine to create an explosion of flavor.
1 pkg. Wewalka Classic Pizza Dough
1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 large onion
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 lb. loose hot Italian sausage
1/2 cup small diced pepperoni
1 cup buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 tsp. kosher salt
3 chicken cutlets pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1 container Italian seasoned Panko
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano plus additional for garnish
1 cup pizza blend cheese
10-15 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade plus additional for garnish
1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
Italian seasoning grinder
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine the tomatoes, butter, 1/2 large onion and 1/2 tsp. kosher salt in a medium sized sauce pan over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer while preparing stromboli.
- Break up the sausage in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until cooked through; stir in the pepperoni. Spoon in 1/3 cup of the tomato sauce into the skillet with the meat then remove from the heat to cool.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and 1 tsp. of kosher salt in a large bowl; remove 1/4 cup of mixture and set aside. Add the chicken to the large bowl. In a large pie plate combine the Panko and the Parmigiano Reggiano. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture then press into the breadcrumb mix. Press down hard on the chicken cutlets so the crumbs adhere.
- Pour peanut oil 1/2 inch deep into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook the chicken 1 minute per side until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Unroll the refrigerated Classic Pizza Dough, flip it over and place it on the prepared baking sheet; peel off parchment paper. Spread half of the sausage mixture evenly over the dough then sprinkle with the pizza blend cheese. Arrange the chicken cutlets over cheese, cutting if necessary, to fit in an even layer. Top the chicken with the remaining sausage mixture and the basil. Spread the mozzarella cheese in an even layer over all. Starting closest to you, carefully roll the dough jelly roll style tucking the dough in at the ends.
- Brush the dough with the reserved 1/4 cup of buttermilk mixture. Grind the Italian seasoning over the dough then gently press the sesame seeds over the top and sides. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the onion from the sauce then stir in the heavy cream. Allow the Stromboli to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 1-inch thick slices to serve. Serve slices with the creamy tomato sauce.