This pie is as easy as can be with dried cranberries plumped up with juicy, full-bodied Merlot wine, accented with cherry pie filling, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dash of lemon zest. The pie can be left plain, dusted with powdered sugar or decorated with whipped cream.
1 pkg. Wewalka Pie Crust Dough
3 cups Merlot or other dry red wine
2 cups dried cranberries
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. orange or lemon zest
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
Whipped Cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Move oven rack to middle position.
- Bring wine and cranberries to a boil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Stir in cinnamon and brown sugar; return to simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract, orange zest. Set aside to cool completely. Fold in cherry pie filling.
- Fit one pie crust into 9-inch pie plate. Flute edges. Dock bottom of the crust with a fork or a docking tool. Blind bake for for 15-18 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F, scrape cranberry filling into prepared crust and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until filling is bubbling. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Garnish with whipped cream. Serve.