This simple Ham and Cheese Quiche can be made ahead of time and is totally freezer friendly! A hint of caramelized onions along with savory ham and two kinds of cheese makes this an unbeatable flavor combination!
1 pkg. Wewalka Pie Crust
1 small onion
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup ham diced
1 cup fresh spinach
¾ cup half and half
1 cup cheddar cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
Chopped bacon, green onions, and/or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Check the instructions of your pie crust and let sit out as necessary.
- Slice the onion into ½ inch strings, not too thin as they will reduce as they cook. Melt the (2 Tbsp.) of butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat and add the onions.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, until they begin to turn brown and caramelize. Stir frequently as they cook. Add the diced ham and cook for an additional 7 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Toss in the spinach and cook until the spinach begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl. Add the half and half and whisk vigorously for two minutes. Milk can be used instead of half and half if absolutely necessary. I find that it dilutes the flavor of the eggs slightly while half and half makes the mixture creamier.
- Spread the pie crust into a lightly greased 9-inch pie pan or springform pan. (use a springform pan so that you can remove the entire quiche without harming it.)
- Spread the ham/onions/spinach filling over the bottom of the crust. Top with half of the cheeses. Pour the egg mixture on top. Leave a little bit of extra room as the eggs rise as they bake and you don’t want the filling to overflow. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top begins to brown and the middle is set. (Check at 35 mins.) Let it cool for 5-10 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with bacon, green onions, and/or parsley and serve!