These easy strawberry tarts are the perfect spring dessert, and are made with puff pastry, mascarpone whipped cream, and glazed fresh strawberries.
1 pkg. Wewalka Puff Pastry Dough
1 egg (optional)
4 oz. mascarpone, room temperature or substitute ricotta or cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 quart strawberries, sliced
2 Tbsp. strawberry or apricot jam
Fresh mint, torn into small pieces or thyme, removed from stem (optional)
Pistachios, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll out the puff pastry on the included sheet of parchment paper. Cut pastry into 8 even rectangles. Alternatively, use round 4" biscuit or cookie cutters and cut out circles. You may get fewer pastries per sheet of dough when making round pastries. Move the parchment paper and pastry onto a baking sheet.
- Use a butter knife to make a shallow indentation on the pastries, creating a 1/2″ border along the edges. Do not cut all the way through the pastry! Tip: If you accidentally cut all the way through the pastry dough while making the border, use your finger to add a few drops of water to the cut area of the dough. Rub the dough to seal it back up. Use a fork to poke holes in the center of each pastry (inside the border).
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl, add a splash of water, and carefully brush the egg wash onto the top outer edge of the pastry (the 1/2″ border). Take care to only brush the TOP of the pastry– if the egg wash drips onto the side, it will seal the puff and prevent it from rising.Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Remove pastries from the oven. Use the bottom of a soup spoon to press down on the center of the pastries, creating an indention in each pastry. Set the pastries aside to cool.
- Chill a glass (Pyrex) bowl in the freezer until it’s cold to the touch. Remove it from the freezer, and add the mascarpone, whipping cream, and sugar. Use an electric mixer on high to whip until it's creamy and smooth. Chill until you’re ready to use.
- Make sure the tart shells are completely cool before assembling. Heat the jam in a small pot until it thins and swirls easily in the pot. Turn off the heat. Use a spoon to fill the tart indention with the whipped filling. If desired, sprinkle with fresh mint or thyme and/or pistachios. Top each tart with 1-2 sliced strawberries, and fan the strawberry slices out on the tart. Serve immediately.