1. Toast almonds on baking sheet at 375°F for 8 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Cool on plate.
2. Using blender, grind almonds until firmly ground.
3. In medium bowl, stir ground almonds and sugar together. In a separate bowl, cream butter with electric mixer and add 1 egg on low speed, then almond and sugar mixture, then rum. Stir in chocolate chips. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Unroll refrigerated Puff Pastry Dough and trace 9 in. circles with cake pans.
5. Spread almond filling on one circle leaving 1½ in. edge. Brush egg wash along edge. Lay another dough circle on top, sealing and crimping edges with fork tines. Chill in refrigerator for another 15 minutes for extra support.
6. Lightly brush pastry with egg wash. With tip of knife, score top of pastry starting at center and make shallow slits of curved lines (like a pinwheel) from top to bottom.
7. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 20 more minutes until pastry is a dark golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Option: Dust with confectioners’ sugar when pastry comes out of oven.