A twist on a classic Shepherd's Pie, this is hearty, comforting, and filling.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a sauce pot over high heat, brown the ground beef.
3. Strain the majority of rendered fat off and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, red pepper, and sweat over medium heat.
4. While the vegetables are cooking, make a roux by melting better and whisking in flour. Continue to cook roux over medium heat until the mixture smells nutty and is medium brown. Once onions are translucent, add stock, herbs, and potatoes to the vegetable mix.
5. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes. When tender, whisk in roux. Turn heat to high.
6. When mixture has thickened, add peas. Transfer mixture into a baking dish or cast iron skillet.
7. Unroll refrigerated Puff Pastry Dough and cut dough into 1 in. strips. Weave dough over the top of the mixture to create a lattice. Brush egg wash on dough. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.