This divine recipe will impress your guests and is a treat for the eye, too!
1. Peel 6 small apples (about 1 cup each) and remove the cores with an apple corer, but keep the stems. Sprinkle each apple with 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar and 2-3 pinches cinnamon and drizzle with 1 tsp. melted butter.
2. Preheat oven to 425F. Unroll the refrigerated Wewalka Puff Pastry dough with parchment paper onto a baking sheet and cut out six 4 3/4 in. x 4 3/4 in. squares. From the remaining dough, cut out small leaves.
3. Place dough squares over the apple. Wrap the dough tightly around the apples and press firmly together at the bottom, re-inserting the stems at the top. Affix two dough leaves beside each stem.
4. Brush with egg wash and bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden- brown. If desired, serve with Vanilla Sauce.
5. VANILLA SAUCE (Optional): In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk, the pulp from 1 vanilla bean, and 4 Tbsp. sugar and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the sugar has fully dissolved. In a metal bowl, beat together 3 medium egg yolks, 1 medium egg, and 4 Tbsp. sugar until creamy. Add vanilla-milk mixture, stir well, and beat over a hot double boiler until the sauce is thick and creamy. Remove the sauce from the double boiler and serve hot or cooled.